Thursday, August 20, 2020

SDSL Resources to Support Social and Emotional Learning

Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) is at the forefront of many minds these days. It's not something that is just taught a couple times a semester by school counselors or delivered once during a summer story time. SEL is a broad type of interpersonal learning that should be integrated throughout all content areas and be supported by school library and public library collections.

Social Emotional Learning circle chart featuring 5 cores: Self Awareness, Self management, Social Awareness, Relationship Skills, and Responsible Decision Making

CASEL's Framework identifies five key components of social and emotional learning:

Self-awareness
I can recognize my emotions and thoughts and I know they can influence my behavior.

Self-management
I can regulate manage stress, control impulses, motivate myself, and work toward achieving my personal and academic goals.

Social awareness
I can empathize with others, understand social and ethical norms for behavior, and recognize resources and support systems that can help not just me but others too.

Relationship skills
I can establish and maintain healthy relationships with others by communicating clearly, listening actively, cooperating, resisting inappropriate social pressure, negotiating conflict constructively, and offering help when needed.

Responsible decision-making
I can make constructive and respectful choices about personal behavior and social interactions based on ethical standards, safety concerns, social norms, realistic consequences, and the well-being of myself and others.

To help public and school librarians enrich their collections, check out the SD State Library's list titled: Social and Emotional Learning Books & Resources which can be located at library.sd.gov > School Libraries > Reading Resources.

In addition, this curated list from the SDSL School Libraries has links to even more SEL resources for libraries, schools, and home.