New South Dakota State Library employees share more about themselves! Meet Kate, Cheyenne and Scottie.
10 Things About You
1. What three words describe you best?
- Kate: Spontaneous, Hilarious, Kind
- Cheyenne: Social, Driven, and Empathetic
- Scottie: Organized, Creative, and Extroverted-Introvert
2. How would you title your autobiography?
- K: Well, That Wasn't Supposed to Happen
- C: Rad Looks and a Stack of Books
- S: "An Unexpected Adventure" because that's what my life seems to be. Growing up, I never imagined that I would someday be a world adventure traveler - backpacking in the Italian Alps, capsizing a canoe in a remote Alaskan river, skydiving in Las Vegas, almost dying on a glacier in Canada. But here I am! The life of a librarian, right?!
3. What would you do if you won the lottery?
- K: Travel, travel, and more travel!
- C: I would definitely spoil my cat with some new toys and treats, and I would spoil myself and my husband with a fun vacation and lots of great food.
- S: I've always said that if I won the lottery, I would buy back all of the buildings on Main Street Sturgis that have been purchased by out-of-state Rally vendors that are only in town for 3 weeks of the year. I would renovate and repurpose those beautiful old buildings and sell them to local business owners who have the best interests of our community at heart. And of course, with my remaining winnings, I would travel more and buy vacation homes around the world!
Kate Kosior, Braille & Talking Book Department Manager
4. Which superpower would you like to have?
- K: The ability to teleport humans and objects anywhere I wanted
- C: I have always wanted to be able to teleport. Imagine how much easier it would be to travel!
- S: If I could have a superpower, I think I would want the power to heal.
5. Where would you go in a time machine?
- K: I would really, really, really like to go see the dinosaurs
- C: Because I have been reading and watching the Bridgerton series, I have to say Regency-era London, but only if I could be part of high society.
- S: This is going to come off as super cheesy, but I wouldn't want to travel anywhere in a time machine. I like to live in the present moment … not the past or future.
6. What song do you have to sing a long with when you hear it?
- K: "Summer of '69" by Bryan Adams
- C: I have so many! My top ones are "Toxic" by Britney Spears, "Macho Man" by The Village People, and the entire album Sour by Oliva Rodrigo.
- S: All.the.songs. Just not in front of anyone! I mostly love modern folk music, though, and Brett Dennen is one of my favorite artists.
Cheyenne Chontos, Library Technology Coordinator
7. What is a tradition that your family has?
- K: My fiancé, daughter, and I get Chinese food and watch Christmas Vacation the weekend before Christmas
- C: Except for my youngest brother, we all owe the same color Subaru! My middle brother has an Outback, my mom has an Ascent, I have a Legacy, and my husband just bought an Ascent.
- S: When my husband and I travel with our two boys (both now teenagers), we do a "Cheers" to toast something great...or not so great (see above about almost dying on a glacier in Canada) that happened that day.
8. What do you binge watch?
- K: British television! I love it all. Right now, we are blasting through Line of Duty
- C: This summer I have been watching a ton of horror movies! I just finished watching the Fear Street series, based on the R.L. Stine books, on Netflix, and I loved every creepy, thrilling second.
- S: I'm currently not binge watching anything in particular, but I do love to binge!
Scottie Bruch, School Library Technology Coordinator
9. Where would you go on vacation?
- K: The beach! We are hoping to go to Belize next year, and I love Myrtle Beach. My daughter and I went to the Dominican Republic in February and loved it.
- C: I love a vacation anywhere warm where I can be by the pool or the beach. My two favorite places are Orlando and Las Vegas.
- S: I am lucky enough to have a husband who loves to travel and is a superb travel planner, so that is a main priority for us and just about the only thing we spend money on. But, I have never been to the South Pacific, so I would love to get to Australia, New Zealand, and Indonesia!
10. What do you love to learn about?
- K: Baking, which I took up during the pandemic quarantine. Now I'm taking classes and really learning the art of baking correctly.
- C: I love to learn about American history. I really enjoy reading Doris Kearns Goodwin for nonfiction, and for historical fiction with a ton of great facts I enjoy reading Beverly Jenkins. Also, anything involving ghosts or the supernatural!
- S: I consider myself a lifelong learner and am open to learning about anything and everything! I'm very open-minded and tend to see things from all angles, so learning from a non-biased source (if possible!) is really important to me. I do love all things yoga, mindfulness, and wellness-related, though!