The five winning books consist of one title in each of five categories representing an early literacy practice: Read, Write, Sing, Talk, and Play. The books, in their content, theme, or design, support caregivers’ interaction with their children through early literacy practices. Research has shown that engaging children in these practices builds language skills and prepares children to become successful readers.
- READ: The Summer Nick Taught His Cats to Read by Curtis Manley; illustrated by Kate Berube (New York: Simon & Schuster/Paula Wiseman Books, 2016)
- WRITE: Alphonse, That is Not OK to Do! by Daisy Hirst (Somerville, Massachusetts: Candlewick, 2016)
- SING: Rock-a-Bye Romp by Linda Ashman; illustrated by Simona Mulazzani (New York: Nancy Paulsen Books, 2016)
- TALK: Puddle by Hyewon Yum (New York : Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2016)
- PLAY: Box by Min Flye; illustrated by Rosalind Beardshaw (New York: Abrams Appleseed, 2015)
For more information, visit the Colorado Libraries for Early Literacy website